Monday, December 3, 2007

A Few Words on my French Gym

I think I could probably write a blog entry about this every time I come back from the gym. The interesting dress code never ceases to amaze me. The other day the guy on the treadmill next to me was wearing velour pants and Ked’s-style slip-on shoes; don’t ask me how you’re supposed to run effectively in that! Last night I was waiting for a girl wearing huge gold hoop earrings to finish on the treadmill … that was a little annoying. There are also a lot of white (why?!?) pants, short t-shirts, board shorts, and Puma street shoes. I think that I’ve actually seen a couple of guys in collared shirts, come to think of it … ?? And sports bras for the ladies? Totally optional … and often not bothered with. So whenever I show up to work out in my running shorts, t-shirt or tank, and running shoes … I think I look a little too “sporty.”
Lately I’ve been timing my workouts to coincide with the various group aerobic classes that are offered. Since it’s a small gym with no TVs or anything, the treadmill gets pretty monotonous sometimes. But not if there’s a French aerobics class to watch in front of me!! The owner of the gym is a big, burly guy (Alec, you’ll be happy to know, he was wearing a Gold’s Gym sweatshirt the other day!), and he leads a lot of the classes. Something about him yelling the instructions, punctuated with short motivational lines, in French, is really entertaining. Maybe I will work up the nerve to join a class someday, but for now I just enjoy being a spectator.

No comments: