Friday, May 9, 2008

Almost Missed my Flight for London

I work up early on Wednesday morning in Paris to take the train back to Rennes, do some laundry, re-pack for England, etc. Bummer of the day – after a week of random hostels/hotels, a long, hot shower is usually on the top of my list. But no hot water – I was bummed!! Anyway, I woke up on Thursday and headed to the station to take the train from Rennes to the western Bretagne city of Brest, which has a small airport for flights to England. I was already cutting it close with this train time … then an hour and a half delay was announced, due to some sort of accident on the train coming from Paris. I went to the bus station to see if that might be an option – it wasn’t – and then just decided I’d have to wait it out. So finally we left, 1.5 hours late, on what was a pretty nerve-wracking train ride for me. It was such a short, 3-day trip to England that if I missed this flight, I might just have to cancel the whole trip! So I got to Brest like 50 minutes before my flight, took a 10-minute cab ride to the airport – “Je suis pressée Monsieur … vite vite!” I ran into the airport to find that check-in had already closed, and they initially refused to let me check-in (even though the flight itself was 30 minutes late) – these cheap carriers are sticklers about closing check-in 40 minutes out. Anyway, the two Frenchies at the desk conferred and allowed me to check-in … pheww!

No comments: