We got to Paros, an entirely flat island whose marina & beachfront were covered with excellent seafood restaurants, around 8 on Thursday night. Although it wasn’t as scenic, we were pleasantly surprised to find that it seemed to be a bit more open and alive than Santorini. We checked into our hotel – a block off the beach, and then walked down the street to a beachfront seafood restaurant. Once again, the place was just filled with locals, and we found ourselves at another 4 or 5 hour meal. The menu only had seafood on it, which we were excited about since Santorini locals had only recommended us to eat meat there … so at least this island was know for its seafood! We started with eggplant dip, wild steamed greens (that we’ve seen all the Greeks eating, so we had to try), and lightly fried calamari. The calamari was amazing – the taste was so fresh that no seasoning/sauce was needed. Tina ordered a local fish, and I tried grilled octopus; this was the first time I’d tried it, but the cute waiter said it was local and his fave, so I couldn’t say no to that! It was basically just a small appendage, complete with the little suction cup things and all, and was chargrilled with a sweet glaze marinade. It was a bit tougher and not as good as the calamari, but I’m glad I tried it. There were still several tables of locals lingering, so we had another carafe of wine, and then the waiter brought us a complimentary dessert that was amazing. He served us small plates of the thickest Greek yogurt I’ve ever had, drizzled with fresh fig glaze. Awesome. Then our waiter brought us a couple more carafes of wine on the house, followed by another serving of dessert. Seriously, being the only non-locals in a Greek restaurant never gets old! Then our cute waiter finally pulled up a chair and started talking to us. Then he asked if we were going out that night, to which we responded that we thought everything was closed. Well, apparently not his friend’s karaoke bar around the corner :) Greek karaoke?? Are you serious?? That quickly changed our minds, so we headed over with him and his best friend, the cook from the restaurant. So that makes our second set of waiter/cook friends in Greece, haha .... their names were Cyrus and Dionosys, no lie. This is where Tina’s above quote comes in; I said to her “If we go out, no flirting.” To which she sincerely replied, “I don’t know how to not flirt.” Haha, “Me neither.” The karaoke bar was great … small, cozy, dark red lighting, funky couches, Indian-themed décor, and a black glitter door. Singing, dancing, beer, and raki shots ensued … so much for taking it easy for a night! I don’t know how we happened to meet like the 5 young, fun people on the island, but it was awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment